The genetic modification of the organisms that already constitute the daily diet of the humanity is a fact, although it does not lack controversy on the matter. Despite these controversies attributing to the dangers that these can provide to human beings, transgenic or genetically-modified foods offer a lot of benefits for everyone.
During the late 90′s, the appearance of the said, genetically-modified foods have had appeared in the market but many consumers seemed reluctant and fearful about these hybrid foods whether these were safe or not. Even certain non-government organizations and various states particularly those member of the European Community were very hesitant that time.
Understanding about Transgenic Foods
When one organism is modified genetically, the process is called genetic engineering where in a gene of another organism has been introduced to one organism. The transferred gene has either been suppressed or modified its own gene. This genetic modification permits an organism to produce a new protein or to stop in producing a protein of the original organism.
- Nowadays, about seventy transgenic foods are being commercialize anywhere in the world and great majority of these foods are in countries such as Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States according to Doctor Daniel Vidal, from Agro-chemical Technology and investigator Institute Food of Valencia, Spain.
- all developments from three hundred foods that undergone experimentation or first commercialization will offer solutions to various problems we encounter today particularly when it comes with food shortage.
- Presently speaking, the benefits that contribute by the transgenic foods are not so evident for the consumer as they are for the producers and for the environment too, according to doctor John Thomas, investigator of the Health Science Center of the University of Texas in the U.S.
- The transgenic vegetables available allow to reduce to the use of pesticides and weed killers. Thus, these foods will reduce the costs and the productivity will increase on the other hand.
- The introduction of transgenic varieties will not require to use for pesticides so health risks brought about by pesticides will be lessen.
- Foods that genetically modified are fortified with high percentage of vitamins. minerals, and essential micro-nutrients which are helpful to fight nutritional deficiencies .
Outlook of The General Public
Despite that there are controversies that genetic modification of foods can pose health risks to the people, still there are no scientific evidences to clarify these controversies. Th0ugh all new technology entails potential risks, we can assure to you that the foods that are modified genetically are so safe, as said by doctor Thomas.
The foods genetically modified that have been approved for their commercialization have almost the same composition as the conventional products; in other words: they are nutritionally equivalent.
In the end, specialists have agreed about the positive impact of genetic modification of foods to the environment and to the people as well in general. Since we all know that the foods that are cultivated naturally or don’t undergo genetic engineering are more hazardous because of the fact that farmers are using toxic substances or pesticides to help these foods cultivate in a very fast manner due to increase demand of foods. So, with transgenic foods, scarcity and other food problems will somehow resolve in no time if we continue to believe that these are beneficial for us human beings.